I am definitely a planner. January is one of my favourite times of the year. It’s when I get out a journal and decide what I want to get done that year. This year, I invested in Leonie Dawson’s “My Shining Year” workbooks. I have been going crazy filling them out with my 2017 goals!
Now that we have a beautiful 2 and a quarter acres, the homestead planning has begun! We intend to build a cottage on it once we have the money, trying to live by the debt free living principles. In the mean time, we are renting so that we have somewhere stable to bring the newest Zed member home (8 weeks people, the count down is getting intense!).
We have decided that we want to build a strawbale and cobb cottage. The natural insulation properties, the natural beauty and the use of natural materials won us over immediately. The idea of being able to use recycled and natural materials is so exciting. I think Mr Zed is just happy about being able to play in the mud…
This year, some of the really important 2017 goals on my list are:
- Plant fruit trees: We might not actually be able to live on the land yet, but the sooner we can get these planted, the better. Fruit trees can take a while to mature enough to bear fruit. Hopefully we can use this time to get some of our foundations down, ready for us to move in!
- Design a house plan: Oddly enough, you can’t really build a house without having a house plan. We need to find a whole range of professionals (architect, engineer etc) who have previously worked with strawbale to help us. Councils aren’t always on board with alternative building, so we might have our work cut out for us.
- Get my drivers license: Believe it or not, Mama Zed has not got her driver’s license! I’ll save you the long story as to why not, but this year is the year I’m finally going to get that little plastic card with an extremely unflattering photo!
- Sew the homesteader’s quilt: After finding an amazing group of homesteading women on Facebook, I joined a Quilting Group. We will all be making 12 squares and sending 11 of them off to homesteaders around the world. At the end, we will each have a beautiful quilt that has been made by many hands. I’m absolutely in love with this idea and really excited to see what squares get sent to me.
- Learn about the local flora and fauna: As I am originally from NZ, the Australian outdoors can often seem foreign to me. Especially if I keep moving! Tasmania is a lot like NZ, but there are still Australian elements to the bush that keep me on my toes. I would love to learn more about my local environment this year.
These are just a few of the goals that I have this year, of the 70+ that I currently have written down at this moment.
2017 is definitely going to be a busy year!
Have you got a list of things that you want to achieve this year? Have you got projects in mind for around the homestead? Let us know!
Over and out,